Tuesday, April 30, 2019

[Week 14] Webcomics

For this week, I re-read the first three-ish acts of Homestuck.

Homestuck is a really unique webcomic, I think, because it's such a cultural phenomenon for the amount of people that got into Homestuck when it first came out. I remember first reading Homestuck when I was starting High School, and it only finished semi recently, about three years ago.
It's one of those comics that I think can relate the most to sort of old school comics in terms of it being a series that some people kind of just grew up with, and it's in this new medium too which is the 'web comic'.

The other sorts of web comics that I read over my years that have shaped a lot of what I did is stuff like VG Cats, F@NB0Y$, Lackadaisy, Their Story, Dark Legacy Comics and I'm sure a lot more that I can't quite remember at the moment.

The way webcomics work in allowing artists that aren't "professionals" or whatever I think really helps with the appealing feature of people being able to get into them. It's a bit like with illustrators in the digital age in general-- you can just go and be an artist and grab a tablet or what have you and just start drawing and posting your work online to be able to get people to look at it. You don't have to go to a school, you don't have to get a publisher, you don't have to go to a professional art gallery-- the access of the digital age allows anyone to sort of more easily follow their hobby or even get into it professionally with less of a barrier of entry than previously.

Anyways, re-reading Homestuck (or at least as much as I could in the amount of time we have) was an interesting experience. A lot of the humor is still good, while some of the humor definitely shows the age of when Homestuck first came out in general.


No comments:

Post a Comment