Tuesday, February 26, 2019

[Week 6] Underground Comix

So for this week, I ended up reading three comics; Mr. Natural and Whiteman by Robert Crumb, and Fat Freddy's Cat by Gilbert Shelton & Dave Sheridan.

As far as initial impressions go, I was much more of a fan of Fat Freddy's Cat than the two comics I read by Crumb.

Fat Freddy's Cat feels a lot more like a relatable humor for me, personally, and I find it more of an "offensive" Garfield which makes it funnier for me. The art style of Fat Freddy's Cat just felt a lot more paletable, even for the "gross" subject matter of the comics.
I also found the distress of Fat Freddy when he spent his last 65 dollars on catnip pretty funny, and just his general distress at a drug-dealer/user lifestyle.  The other part that I thought was kind of funny was how being "Queer" was a result of a drug that was supposedly so horrible that Freddy's Cat would rather kill himself than live in the world where everyone was "Queer" because of some drug in the coffee.

When it comes to Crumb's comics, the content was, as expected, sexual and overtly "offensive" for what it was. The art wasn't so bad, and I kind of enjoyed the art style of a lot of the comics, because it reminded me of old cartoons from the 20's and 30's in a way. Also, the first comic of Mr. Natural (where he just meditates and turns the little town back into a desert), was really neat, I thought.

The second comic of Mr. Natural just felt very obtusely gross with the implications of having sex with the giant baby, and was just generally very unplesant to read.
The same goes for Whiteman; the art of the comic was good, but the overt "grossness" of it just felt very over the top and sort of like it was just being gross to be gross, just like the second comic of Mr. Natural.

While reading a lot of these I just honestly listened to Glass Onion on repeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment